Heading hidden

Description of the Project Area:

Varanasi Nagar Nigam was established on 24-01-1959 under the act of Uttar Pradesh Government i.e., Municipal Corporation Act of 1959 as a Nagar Mahapalika. In 1994 it was converted in to Nagar Nigam under the U.P. Government act - 2. Within its jurisdiction are some of the most densely populated areas in the world. It has also the unique distinction of providing civic services to rural and urban villages, Resettlement Colonies, etc. The Varanasi is situated 80.71 meters above sea level. The total wards under Varanasi Nagar Nigam are 90. At present total area under Varanasi Nagar Nigam is 82.10 Sq. Kms. The total length of road under Varanasi Nagar Nigam is 1170 K.M and it is graded as B1 city rank. Its total population was 12, 01, 815 lacks as per census 2011.The Varanasi city was divided into 5 administrative zones for convenience of administration. The sex ratio in Varanasi is 909. The literacy rate is 77.05. the density of population is 2399 per sq.Km ( as per 2011 census).

As per the Jal kal Varanasi the availability of water per day per capita is 165 lpcd. The sewerage system coverage in Varanasi is estimated to the tune of 40% and the remaining 60% is yet to be covered with proper sewerage. As per the VNN data there are 210 slums existing in the city and the incidence of open defecation is prevailing in the slums and also lack of piped water supply in the slums lead to frequent health disorders among the slum community. Inadequate solid waste management also leads to pollute the Ganga River to a reasonable extent.

The population detail of the 5 zones as per the VNN records is mentioned below:

project

However, activities of people living in above mentioned localities with substantial area in the project area and more specifically those living in the banks of the / vicinity, influences the river water quality and environment the most. Besides, the activities of boating, river user groups also significantly influences these parameters. Considering the difference in influence, activity plans have been prepared with different focuses.